Thursday, April 12, 2007

simple majority measure passes

At long last, two thirds of the Senate agree: It's now up to the electorate.
Washington voters will get the final say on a state constitutional amendment to allow simple majority approval of local property tax levies for public schools.

The state Senate passed the measure on a 33-16 vote today, just squeaking past the two-thirds vote needed.

"This is a long time in coming," said Sen. Tracey Eide, D-Federal Way. "I feel just as passionate today as I did in '93 about this piece of legislation. I'm a mom and I care about every single child in the state of Washington."

The House already passed the measure, so it now heads to voters who must approve it by a simple majority.

It currently takes a 60 percent supermajority to pass a school levy. To lower that to 50 percent requires a constitutional amendment.
Smaller, rural, struggling districts are primed to benefit most; if all goes well, 40% of voters won't get to decide their fate. We'll hold off celebrating, though, until the people have their say.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

It's a good day indeed.

I noticed that my own old Senator, Dan Swecker, was one of the no votes. Why the people of Rochester keep him around I'll never understand.

Nuss said...

It's about time. It was such an antiquated law. My own district recently had a levy that failed with "just" 58 percent of the electorate voting for it ...